The Teranex processors were excellent appliances even before Blackmagic Design added extra functionality and dropped the prices by around 90%. Now they're quite simply phenomenal. Both the 2D and 3D versions now feature Thunderbolt video capture to an already rich set of operations. At this price, every organization should have one for HD ingest and the highest quality video conversion.
"As a standards converter, the Teranex represents outstanding value for money – they used to be tens of thousands of pounds – and for those people setting up an edit suite that needs a little more than simple I/O, it’s an attractive solution, even without the conversion capabilities." Definition Magazine
- Convert, capture and playback full quality video
- Built-in Thunderbolt™ port
- Broadcast quality processing includes:
- Up conversion / down conversion
- SD and HD cross/standards conversion
- Automatic cadence detection and removal even with edited content
Perfect for regular conversions as well as capture and playback. Get SD/HD and 3 Gb/s SDI, HDMI and analogue in and out, 8 channel AES/EBU, 4 channel balanced analogue input and output as well as consumer HiFi audio input connections. Thunderbolt port for computer capture and playback, RS-422 deck control, reference input, and ethernet are included for remote configuration.
Get amazing processing with high quality de-interlacing, up conversion, down conversion, SD and HD cross/standards conversion, automatic cadence detection, removal and correction even with edited content, noise reduction, adjustable scaling and aspect ratio conversion, all with full timecode and multi-channel audio conversion.
The world’s leading standards converter lets you move between hundreds of video formats instantly!
Teranex is the world renowned standards convertor with incredible virtually transparent quality! Broadcast masters are converted with full quality allowing worldwide distribution. Teranex is perfect for live production and, with the built-in Thunderbolt™ port, can also be used for cleaning and converting content for authoring as well as video capture and playback for editing, design and effects! Teranex is the perfect video converter, standards converter and capture and playback tool all in one!
Teranex simply provides more conversion than any other solution. It includes extremely high quality de-interlacing, up conversion, down conversion, SD and HD cross/standards conversion, automatic cadence detection and removal even with edited content, noise reduction, adjustable scaling and aspect ratio conversion. All with full timecode and multi-channel audio conversion.
With the ability to convert from virtually any television format to any other television format at the highest quality, Teranex has hundreds of uses in any broadcast and post production facility. Use Teranex for general conversion as well as protecting decks, transmitters/encoders and switchers from video standards they don’t support simply by installing Teranex before the video input! Add Teranex into OB vehicles to synchronize and convert video feeds.
Advanced SIMD technology developed and patented by Teranex allows instant calculations on thousands of pixels simultaneously in X, Y positions and between video frames, so you get true super computer imaging power. Processing is applied within the frame and between frames all at the same time, so you get better de-interlacing, inter-frame interpolation and noise reduction. This is why Teranex conversions are indistinguishable from the original master!
Advanced Processing Power
Teranex 2D features patented processing technology for the highest quality conversion between video standards, frame rates and resolutions. The incredible power of Teranex processing includes; Up Conversion, Down Conversion, SD/HD Cross Conversion, SD/HD Standards Conversion, Cadence Detect and Remove, Noise Reduction, Adjustable Scaling, Aspect Radio Conversion, Smart Aspect, Converts Timecode, Includes 16 Channel Audio.
Teranex's legendary processing is so well known it has been mandated by film studios and broadcast networks for content conversion and distribution.
Convert and Capture
Teranex Processors feature a built-in Thunderbolt connection so you can simultaneously convert video formats and capture files into a computer for editing and more!
Blackmagic UltraScope is included free with Teranex Processors so you can measure your video signal levels with a Thunderbolt connected computer.
- SDI Video Input - 1 x 10-bit SD, HD, 3Gb/s HD and 2K switchable.
- SDI Video Loop - 1 x reclocked 10-bit SD, HD, 3Gb/s HD and 2K switchable.
- SDI Video Output - 2 x 10-bit SD, HD, 3Gb/s HD and 2K switchable.
- Analogue Video Input - 1 x Component YUV on 3 BNCs switchable to Composite. Component supports HD and SD.
- Analogue Video Output - 1 x Component YUV on 3 BNCs switchable to Composite. Component supports HD and SD.
- HDMI Video Input - 1 x HDMI type A connector
- HDMI Video Output - 1 x HDMI type A connector
- Analogue Audio Input - 4 x inputs of professional balanced analogue audio on DB-25 for 4 audio channels. Pinout compatible with Yamaha™, Mackie™, Sony™ and Apogee™ connectors.
2 x inputs of unbalanced analogue audio on RCA connectors for consumer equipment.
- Analogue Audio Output - 4 x outputs of professional balanced analogue audio on DB-25 for 4 audio channels. Pinout compatible with Yamaha™, Mackie™, Sony™ and Apogee™ connectors.
- AES/EBU Audio Input - 8 x inputs on DB-25 for 8 audio channels. Sample rate converted. Pinout compatible with Yamaha™, Mackie™, Sony™ and Apogee™ connectors
- AES/EBU Audio Output - 8 x outputs on DB-25 for 8 audio channels. Pinout compatible with Yamaha™, Mackie™, Sony™ and Apogee™ connectors
- SDI Audio Input - 16 channels in SD, HD and 2K. (16 channels in HD and 2K, and 8 channels in SD for capture via Thunderbolt port)
- SDI Audio Output - 16 channels in SD, HD and 2K. (16 channels in HD and 2K, and 8 channels in SD for playback via Thunderbolt port)
- HDMI Audio Input - 8 Channels
- HDMI Audio Output - 8 Channels
- Dolby Support Built-In - Dolby® E/AC-3 pass through with same frame rates
- Dolby Support Optional - None
- Multi Rate Support - SDI, HDMI and component analogue video connections are switchable between standard definition and high definition. SDI switches between 270 Mb/s standard definition SDI, 1.5 Gb/s HD-SDI and 3 Gb/s HD and 2K SDI.
- Sync Input - Blackburst in SD or TriSync HD.
- Device Control - Sony™ compatible RS-422 deck control port. Serial ports TxRx direction-reversible under software control.
- Computer Interface - Thunderbolt port for capture and playback of video and audio.
USB 2.0 mini B port for software updates and configuration.
- Processor Interface - Illuminated pushbuttons, status LEDs and LCD with easy onscreen menus.
- Power - 1 x built-in international AC power supply with IEC C14 inlet. 120-240V, 50-60Hz.
1 x 12V DC military grade port can be used for external battery power and/or failover redundancy with optional “brick” DC adapter.
- SD Format Support - 625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC and 525/23.98 NTSC.
- HD Format Support - 720p50, 720p59.94, 1080PsF23.98, 1080p23.98, 1080PsF24, 1080p24, 1080PsF25, 1080p25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080p29.97, 1080i50, 1080p50, 1080i59.94 and 1080p59.94.
- 2K Format Support - 2048 x 1080PsF23.98, 2048 x 1080p23.98, 2048 x 1080PsF24 and 2048 x 1080p24.
- SDI Compliance - SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M, SMPTE 296M, SMPTE 372M, SMPTE 425M
- SDI Metadata Support - VITC support, SMPTE 12M. Video indexing support including WSS, RP186 and AFD, SMPTE 2016. Closed captioning support for conversions to and from 608 and 708, SMPTE 334M. (Capture and playback via Thunderbolt port supports RP188, VANC using up to 3 lines of video in file including closed captioning.)
- Audio Sampling - Television standard sample rate of 48 kHz and 24-bit
- Video Sampling - 4:2:2 SDI
- Colour Precision - 10-bit
- Colour Space - REC 601, REC 709
- HD-SDI 3D Support - None
- HDMI Configuration - HDMI automatically configures to connected display.
- HDMI Resolution - Pixel for pixel HD resolution input to connected device.
- HDMI 3D Support - None
- SDI Format Support - 525 NTSC, 625 PAL, 720HD, 1080HD and 2K 2048 x 1080 switchable.
- Analogue Format Support - 525 NTSC, 625 PAL, 720HD and 1080HD switchable.
- Analogue Component - NTSC/PAL 10-bit and 16x Over-sampled Output.
HD 10-bit and 4x Over-sampled Output.
- Analogue Composite - NTSC/PAL 10-bit and 16x Over-sampled Output.
- HDMI Colour Precision - 4:2:2 10-bit
- Copy Protection - HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources. Always confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of content.
- Colourspace Conversion - Hardware based real time.
- Format Conversion - Real time up conversion, down conversion, cross conversion and SD/HD standards conversion on capture.
- Aspect Ratio Conversion - Real time variable and fixed aspect ratio conversion including proprietary “SMART” aspect.
- Real Time Video Processing - Includes noise reduction, cadence detection with insertion/removal and cadence correction, scene cut detection, colour correction, and proc amp control
- Real Time 3D Processing - None
- Real Time Effects during playback on a computer with Thunderbolt™ technology - Apple Final Cut Pro™ internal effects. Adobe® Premiere Pro® Mercury Playback Engine effects. Avid Media Composer 6™ internal effects.
Blackmagic Drivers Extra
- Software Included - Desktop Video software installs Media Express, Disk Speed Test, LiveKey, Blackmagic system preferences and Blackmagic driver for video capture and playback via the converter’s Thunderbolt port.
Blackmagic UltraScope software for waveform monitoring from the converter’s Thunderbolt port.
- Installation - Connected via a Thunderbolt cable (not included) to computers with Thunderbolt technology for video capture and playback.
- Software Control - Software control utility included free for changing settings via Windows 7 and Mac OS X.
- Internal Software Upgrade - Automatically upgrades when new software is connected via USB 2.0.
- Physical Installation - 1 rack unit size. Less than 6 inches deep.
- Product Warranty - 12 Month Limited Manufacturer's Warranty.
What's new in Teranex Utility 6.1
Updates for the Teranex AV including:
- Reduced latency for frame rate conversions in Lowest Latency mode
- Horizontal motion for Test Pattern Generator
- Variable transition times for Output Options
- Capture a Still from Freeze
- Transfer of Stills to/from computer via Setup Utility
- HDMI outputs progressive for PsF output formats
- HDMI Output Color Space selection
- Improved accuracy and graphic for audio meters (Express as well)
Updates across all Teranex 1RU rack converters include:
- Enabled REM lock button on Front Panel
- Panel Lock via the Setup Utility Application
What's new in Teranex Utility 5.0
Product Launch of Teranex AV with features such as:
- Low Latency
- Still Store
- HDMI In/Loop/Output and more
- Plus all the functionality of the Express
Teranex Express, 2D and 3D:
- Minor menu changes and bug fixes
What's new in Teranex Utility 4.7
- Support for Teranex Mini Optical models
What's new in Teranex Utility 4.6
- Deinterlace bug fix on Teranex Express.
- Update to standardized video format names.
Download the latest Firmware and Software
- Teranex 2D Processor
- Software CD